Hornsby Bend Health & Wellness Center
The Hornsby Bend Health & Wellness Center will replace the existing Hornsby Bend Health Center and bring wellness programs to the Austin's Colony/Hornsby Bend community. The design will foster mental and physical wellbeing while building community among residents.
While Central Health is working with health care providers, community partners, and community members to move this project forward, residents can get care at the CommUnityCare Hornsby Bend Health Center.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The Hornsby Bend Health & Wellness Center will bring expanded clinical services to Hornsby Bend and its surrounding communities. The center will foster mental and physical wellbeing while building community among Eastern Travis County residents.
- Gilbert Road and Sandifer Street, 78725 (across from Dailey Middle School)
Current Proposed Services:
- Primary care
- Integrated mental health and oral health assessment
- Limited on-site pharmacy (Class D)
- Accessible community gathering space (indoor community room, outdoor community garden, play areas and green space)
The following images are preliminary concept designs and do not reflect the final look of the property.
As a tax-funded public entity, Central Health uses a systematic approach to community engagement and public participation. This approach employs methods recommended by the Systematic Development of Informed Consent (SDIC) public engagement process from the Institute for Participatory Management & Planning (IPMP), as well as the International Association for Public Participation (IAP2). Both best-practice models are widely used by other local public entities, including the City of Austin, Capital Metro, and the Austin Independent School District.
Central Health staff engage with residents to gather their feedback through community conversations, community advisory committees, online/paper surveys and one-on-one interviews (in person or by phone). In addition, we rely on communications and outreach tactics to ensure we are involving our consumers in the public participation process.
[TAKE THE SURVEY]
For more information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Central Health Board of Managers approved a project plan for the Hornsby Bend Health & Wellness Center, fulfilling a long-time commitment to expand health care services in an area lacking access to resources. Read more.
Beginning in February 2021, Central Health will gather community input via one-on-one interviews (over the phone and in person – pending pandemic restrictions) and online surveys. Central Health will provide updates through Community Conversations scheduled on the following dates.
- Thursday, February 18, 2021
- Saturday, April 17, 2021
- In 2015, Central health formed the Eastern Travis County Health and Wellness Collaboration to address challenges in the area.
- In July 2018, Central Health and CommUnityCare launched a shuttle service pilot to help Hornsby Bend residents get to their medical appointments.
- In September 2018, Central Health and CommUnityCare adopted the Fiscal Year 2019 budget, which included an estimated $3.49 million for priority projects in Eastern Travis County, including Hornsby Bend.
- In 2019, Central Health-affiliated CommUnityCare Health Centers started making medical home visits in Hornsby Bend.
- In July 2019, Central Health purchased 10.63 acres of underdeveloped land in Hornsby Bend to build a health and wellness center.
- In March 2020, Central Health, CommUnityCare and community members celebrated the opening of the Hornsby Bend Health Center (14312 Hunters Bend Rd, Austin, TX 78725), which offers primary care, chronic disease management, vaccines, on-site lab, limited pharmacy services, and a flexible space for behavioral health services and enrolling people in health coverage.
- In November 2020, CommUnityCare presented their service delivery considerations for new Eastern Travis County health centers to the Central Health Board of Manager’s Eastern Crescent Subcommittee. Central Health took these considerations into account as staff developed a project plan for the Hornsby Bend Health & Wellness Center.
- In December 2020, Central Health began working with architect and engineering firm, BSA LifeStrutures, for the health and wellness center conceptual and schematic designs.
ABOUT THE POPULATION
DATA & DEMOGRAPHICS
- The total population of Hornsby Bend is 12,737.
- Of all households in Hornsby Bend, 21.4% (794 households) are below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL).
- Central Health enrollees account for 16.1% (2,052 individuals) of the total population in Hornsby Bend.
- 6% of Central Health enrollees residing in Hornsby Bend have utilized health services in the last year.
- The percent of Latino residents in Hornsby Bend is 62.2%, or 7,917 individuals, which is 27.5% higher than the county rate.
- Of the total population of Latino residents in Hornsby Bend, 80.1%, or 1,644 individuals, are Central Health enrollees.
- The percent of Black residents in Hornsby Bend is 24.1%, or 3,068 individuals, which is nearly triple the county rate.
- Of the total population of Black residents in Hornsby Bend, 6.4%, or 132 individuals, are Central Health enrollees.
Eight chronic conditions were analyzed for all Central Health enrollees across 12 identified priority focus areas. Chronic conditions analyzed include: asthma, COPD, behavioral health, diabetes, heart failure, hypertension, malignant neoplasm, and renal failure. Central Health enrollees residing in Hornsby Bend have higher prevalence rates for all conditions except for behavioral health and malignant neoplasm.
The average number of households without a vehicle is about a tenth of the county rate and is predicted to increase at twice the rate of Travis County between 2020 and 2025.
Sign Up for Updates