As the Dec. 15 approaches, Central Health and its partners are encouraging Travis County residents to sign up today for health insurance through the Affordable Care Act’s (ACA) Health Insurance Marketplace.
Without a qualifying event, this is the only time of year that individuals can enroll in coverage.
Nationwide more than 3 million people have selected health plans offered at healthcare.gov, and in Texas, nearly 540,000 have enrolled in health coverage according to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). In Travis County, Central Health, Central Health-funded CommUnityCare Health Centers, Foundation Communities, and United Way 2-1-1 have teamed up to provide free, in-person assistance and help thousands enroll.
Texas has the highest rate of in the U.S. of people living without health insurance, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. In Travis County, the Bureau reports that 12.3 % of the population or 154,000 people are uninsured.
“Since the start of open enrollment, our team of more than 150 local experts has helped more than 4,000 people enroll in health insurance,” Foundation Communities Director of Prosper Programs Kori Hattemer said. “We’ll be open through Sunday, December 15 at both Austin locations to make sure we can help everyone enroll before the deadline.” Enrollment ends at midnight, December 15.
Every health plan offered on the Marketplace must cover the same set of 10 essential health benefits, ranging from outpatient care to hospitalization to prescription drugs. Sendero Health Plans, Central Health’s nonprofit Health Maintenance Organization (HMO), offers the lowest-cost Bronze plans on this year’s Marketplace for 2020.
“We’re urging people not to delay and enroll now,” said Mike Geeslin, President and CEO of Central Health. “Call 2-1-1 and schedule an appointment for free, in-person assistance with an enrollment expert. Going into the holiday season, knowing you have health insurance can provide added peace of mind.”
- Foundation Communities North: 5900 Airport Blvd, Austin, TX 78752 Monday – Thursday: 9 a.m. – 7 p.m., Friday – Saturday: 9 a.m.- 4 p.m., Sunday: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Foundation Communities, South: 2600 W Stassney, Austin, TX 78745 Monday – Thursday: 9 a.m. – 7 p.m., Friday – Saturday: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m., Sunday: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- CommUnityCare Southeast Health & Wellness: 2901 Montopolis Dr., Austin, TX 78741 Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- CommUnityCare Sandra Joy Anderson: 1705 E. 11th St., Austin, TX 78702 Monday, Wednesday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- CommUnityCare South Austin: 2529 S. First St., Austin, TX 78704 Monday, Wednesday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Latino Healthcare Forum: 6601 Felix Ave., Austin, TX 78741 Saturday 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.