Hornsby Bend Health & Wellness Center
The Hornsby Bend Health & Wellness Center will replace the existing Hornsby Bend Health Center and bring wellness programs to the Austin's Colony/Hornsby Bend community. The design will foster mental and physical wellbeing while building community among residents.
Get Care Now
While Central Health is working with health care providers, community partners, and community members to move this project forward, residents can get care at the CommUnityCare Hornsby Bend Health Center.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The Hornsby Bend Health & Wellness Center will bring expanded clinical services to Hornsby Bend and its surrounding communities. The center will foster mental and physical wellbeing while building community among Eastern Travis County residents.
Location: 3700 Gilbert Road (across from Dailey Middle School)
Current Proposed Services
- Primary care
- Integrated behavioral health and oral health assessment
- Select specialty care services via Telehealth
- Accessible community gathering space (indoor community room, outdoor community garden, play areas and green space)
DATA & DEMOGRAPHICS
- The total population of Hornsby Bend is 12,737.
- Of all households in Hornsby Bend, 21.4% (794 households) are below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL).
- Central Health enrollees account for 16.1% (2,052 individuals) of the total population in Hornsby Bend.
- 6% of Central Health enrollees residing in Hornsby Bend have utilized health services in the last year.
- The percent of Latino residents in Hornsby Bend is 62.2%, or 7,917 individuals, which is 27.5% higher than the county rate.
- Of the total population of Latino residents in Hornsby Bend, 80.1%, or 1,644 individuals, are Central Health enrollees.
- The percent of Black residents in Hornsby Bend is 24.1%, or 3,068 individuals, which is nearly triple the county rate.
- Of the total population of Black residents in Hornsby Bend, 6.4%, or 132 individuals, are Central Health enrollees.
Eight chronic conditions were analyzed for all Central Health enrollees across 12 identified priority focus areas. Chronic conditions analyzed include: asthma, COPD, behavioral health, diabetes, heart failure, hypertension, malignant neoplasm, and renal failure. Central Health enrollees residing in Hornsby Bend have higher prevalence rates for all conditions except for behavioral health and malignant neoplasm.
The average number of households without a vehicle is about a tenth of the county rate and is predicted to increase at twice the rate of Travis County between 2020 and 2025.
In 2015, Central health formed the Eastern Travis County Health and Wellness Collaboration to address challenges in the area. Central Health and partners implemented immediate, short-term solutions to expand health care services in this community – while planning a permanent health and wellness center.
- In July 2018, Central Health and CommUnityCare launched a shuttle service pilot to help Hornsby Bend residents get to their medical appointments.
- In 2019, Central Health-affiliated CommUnityCare Health Centers started making medical home visits in Hornsby Bend.
- In March 2020, Central Health, CommUnityCare and community members celebrated the opening of the Hornsby Bend Health Center (external link).